10 Buttertubs Dr. (Seniors)
This stunning new 6-storey apartment building next to Buttertubs Marsh comprises 159 units with studio, one-bed, and one-bed plus den options for independent seniors (55+).
All homes have full kitchens and a washroom with walk-in shower. There are indoor and outdoor activity spaces and shared laundry facilities. The amenities package is a unique feature to this property and includes optional weekday meals program and linens service. In addition, low-cost activities are provided onsite with a BC Seniors and Pensioners membership.
10 Buttertubs Drive is now open. This building is designated for seniors who are capable of independent living. Rental rates for this property vary by unit. If interested in renting at this property, please complete and submit your application directly to Ballenas.
If you are interested or wish for more information about these units or others offered by the Ballenas Housing Society; please check back frequently as new projects will be added to our online application process as they become available.
Note: This building is not subsidized. Tenants may be eligible for the SAFER subsidy provided by BC Housing, which provides qualifying low- and moderate-income seniors with cash payments to offset their rental costs. The SAFER calculator provides details on how much monetary assistance is provided: Rental Assistance Program (RAP)/SAFER Calculator (bchousing.org).
Rental Rates (Excluding Optional Amenities)
The range of rental rates reflects the different sizes and layouts of the suites, views, as well as whether or not they have a balcony or outdoor access.
- 4 Wheelchair accessible units
- (203, 303, 403, 503). All other units have some adaptable features. This allows the unit some modifications to meet residents’ changing requirements over time.
- Walk-in Showers (all suites)
- 2 Elevators
- Designated Seniors Building (55+)
(Singles and couples)
- No-smoking property
- View of Mount Benson and Buttertubs Marsh *some units*
- Open Floorplan
- Close to Bus Stop (400-450m) at Bowen Road – #30 & #40 Buses
- Common area/dining room on the first floor
- Onsite activities through BC Pensioners & Seniors Organization
- Pet Friendly: One indoor cat (units without balcony or patio access), One small dog (ground floor units only). *Pets are subject to Ballenas pet policy and require registration with the landlord.
All rental rates include hot water and access to washers/dryers to do laundry. Hydro and electricity are the responsibility of the tenant and are metered individually.
An optional amenity package is available that provides tenants with:
- Three professionally cooked meals a day, served Monday to Friday. ($500 per month per person)
- All units also have kitchens so tenants can cook for themselves
Home phone, Internet and TVbundle through Shaw ($126 per month)
- Optional linen/towel laundering service is available ($100 per month)
- Optional membership with the BC Pensioners & Seniors Organization who will offer a variety of activities onsite for a nominal fee (please call 250-585-5748 to ask about a membership)
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply for housing at 10 Buttertubs Drive?
Applications must be submitted directly to the Ballenas Housing Society. Our application process is online only: Apply Online →
If you need assistance filling out your application, please consider the following local resources:
- Public computers and printing available at Vancouver Island Public Library:
- 90 Commercial St Nanaimo, BC V9R 5G4 Phone: 250-753-1154. (10 public computers, 15–30-minute time limits, printing available)
- In-person support by staff at:
- Nanaimo Disability Resource Centre – #2-4166 Departure Bay Rd
- Nanaimo, BC V9T 4B7 Phone: 250-758-5547
Nanaimo Family Life Association – 1070 Townsite Rd Nanaimo, BC V9S 1M6 Phone: 250-754-3331
How will I be contacted?
When there is a vacancy in a rental unit, Ballenas representatives will email or phone applicants on the waitlist to set up an interview and begin the process of obtaining housing with our society. You will be asked to bring up-to-date financial documents as well as a list of references to be contacted by Ballenas staff.
Can I Apply for SAFER (Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters)?
Yes, you may receive SAFER in 10 Buttertubs:
To find out how much you would receive from SAFER (based on your own income) please follow the link below and answer a few questions to get a quote: https://www.bchousing.org/housing-assistance/rental-assistance-programs/rap-safer-calculator
Is 10 Buttertubs an Assisted Living Community?
No. This property is designated for independent residents and does not provide onsite assistance for day-to-day living.
Do I need to sign a lease?
Ballenas offers month-to-month tenancy agreements that can be discontinued with one month’s written notice.
Will there be staff onsite at the building?
Yes, Ballenas staff will be onsite during business hours of 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, closed for lunch between 12:00-1:00 PM. If you wish to speak with a staff member regarding your tenancy, you will be asked to call and schedule an appointment.
Is smoking permitted?
All our properties are no-smoking. Residents shall not, nor permit anyone else to smoke, vape, or use electronic cigarettes for tobacco, cannabis or any other substance on the residential property.
Is there parking available onsite?
Yes, 10 Buttertubs has a limited number of parking stalls. These stalls will not be officially assigned until the building is fully occupied and until that time will remain on a first-come, first-served basis. Once the building is fully occupied, residents will be invited to apply for parking. A list of eligibility criteria for a parking stall is available to residents from Housing Operations.
Is tenant insurance necessary?
Yes, the Ballenas Housing Society will require all residents to have renter’s insurance that covers personal belongings and general liability proof of active insurance is required. If you do not yet have an insurance policy we will provide information on affordable renter’s insurance coverage.
- Buttertubs Marsh
- 30 m
- Pryde Vista Golf Course
- 1.1 km
- Nanaimo Family Life
- 1.4 km
- Tim Hortons
- 1.6 km
- Bowen Park
- 1.6 km
- 1.7 km
- Country Grocer
- 1.9 km
(Formerly Motion Specialties)
- 2.1 km
- Central Drugs
- 2.2 km
- Nanaimo General Hospital
- 2.3 km
- Nanaimo Lifeline
- 2.5 km
- Maffeo Sutton Park
- 2.7 km
- Vancouver Island University
- 3 km
- Old City Quarter
- 3.1 km
- VI Regional Library
- 3.2 km
- Nanaimo Women’s Centre
- 3.3 km
- University Village Mall
- 3.5 km
- Nanaimo Aquatic Centre
- 3.5 km
- Ministry of Housing and Social Development
- 4.3 km
- Regional Recycling
- 4.6 km